The brand new roof of the Chokushi Gate has been completed!
The scaffolding has been put away and the gate is visible again with its new and improved roof.
Beautiful isn’t it? The color will change over time, but for now the roof looks very new!
Here’s a close-up so you can appreciate the craftsmanship that went into this renovation!
Ninnaji Temple is open to visitors from 9am to 4:30pm during the winter!
Bundle up and come see the refreshed Chokushi Gate!
This is all that can be seen of the Chokushi Gate for a while….
It will be undergoing repairs and maintenance until the end of November. It is unfortunate that guests visiting during this time period won’t be able to see the gate, but these repairs are necessary to ensure that the gate will be strong and beautiful for years to come.
There are still many beautiful sights at Ninna-ji to see the summer! It is still cool inside Goten and the garden is as beautiful as ever!
Recently a survey of the buildings at Ninna-ji has been completed and 7 structures within Goten and 1 outside of Goten are slated to be added to the Japanese Government’s list of Registered Tangible Cultural Properties in the coming months. Buildings to be registered include: the entrance hall, Shinden, Shiro-shoin, Kuro-shoin, Reimeiden, Chokushi Gate, Kōzoku (Imperial Family) Gate, and Reihō-kan.
This pending registration does not involve any changes for visitors to the temple, however. Structures registered as Tangible Cultural Properties are eligible to receive some government assistance for maintenance and repairs. When the pending registration is complete it will be that much easier for the temple to keep its properties in peak condition for visitors for years to come.
The Chokushi-mon is visible on the left after entering the temple through the Nio-mon. Behind this gate lies the South Garden and the palace area (“Goten”) of the temple. The Chokushi Gate was destroyed in a fire in 1887 and was rebuilt in 1913. Many other parts of the palace were destroyed in this fire, and those buildings as well as the Chokushi Gate were reconstructed under the careful observation of architect Suekichi Kameoka. The Chokushi Gate is considered a truly magnificent example of the “Kameoka-style.”
The Chokushi Gate was built as a gate for the Emperor to pass through in order to enter the palace grounds. Outside of any visits from the Emperor, the gate is opened once a year for a festival that originates at nearby Fukuōji Shrine. The mother of Emperor Uda is enshrined there, and every year in October there is a procession from Fukuōji Shrine to Ninna-ji Temple in order to bring the mother to visit her son.